Applies to: Dreamweaver 8 and Windows Vista (possibly other xml editors / versions of Dreamweaver).
A short while after installing Vista I discovered the operating system help section was broken. I was getting the following message:
Internet Explorer cannot download / from windows.
I assumed this was due to me being an early adopter and a Microsoft would release a fix through Windows Update.
It turns out I was wrong and in fact it was Dreamweaver 8 that I installed and this caused the problem. By default Dreamweaver 8 associates itself as the default editor of xml files and this in turn causes some sort of conflict with the help system. Dreamweaver 8 was release some time before Vista though so I don’t expect this problem with the latest release, Dreamweaver CS3.
To fix this issue, Adobe have released a registry fix which is incredibly easy to use. Download the file from here and extract the files, then run the enclosed file (DW8_Fix_Help_and Support.reg) to fix. You will need administrator rights to perform this action.